We have been producing music projects here at our Blue Mountains based recording studio – The Valley Studio for the last 20 years. I’ve been watching how the world is changing and I hope you’re still as positive about your career in music as ever and that you’re working towards better sales and gigs.
The music industry has changed shape. Marketing opportunities for independent artists are endless, record companies are rapidly shrinking and the iTunes and online phenomenon is growing daily. The internet seems to be taking over every aspect of our lives both musically and in a personal way.
What is emerging from all this change is quality! “The cream always rises to the top”, so if you want or have a career as an independent music artist, band or duo, whether it be in country music, folk music, as a singer/songwriter, acoustic or blue and roots, here are some things to consider:
- Have a plan and a great team to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
- Build integrity into every aspect of the production, especially when you choose your producer!
- Write and/or find great songs (and don’t record your project until you do).
- Keep your recording and production costs as low as possible.
- Use the very best musicians available.
- Have a great ‘visual brand’ ie, CD art, a great website, great posters and merchandise.
- Don’t give up! Think smartly and creatively.